Saturday, November 8, 2008

Mary Poppins HORSE Cel


This particular setup is one of the most elaborate I've done to date.

Readers know of my near-obsession with MARY POPPINS. It was Walt Disney's masterpiece, bringing together all the studio's magic - animation, live action, special effects, storytelling, and music.

It's been an exciting part of collecting animation art to build my POPPINS collection. No matter how many pieces I have, there always seems to be "just one more" that I must have... and the collection continues to grow.

I recently acquired an original production cel of a horse from the animated "fox hunt" sequence. This is really quite a find - I've never seen another like it.

When I am offered a cel, I always go to the film to find the key frame in which the cel appears. Here's the horse's key frame:

So... the horse originally had a hunter.Finding the matched hunter production cel is unlikely at best.

What to do?

I asked my restoration artist (who was "ink and paint" trained at Disney) if she could recreate the Hunter overlay cel. She not only recreated the cel, but used a special technique to make her hand-inking look like Xerox lines! It's just briliiant, and so is she. Of course, we agreed the word "re-creation" should be hand-inked at the bottom of the cel, and it was. (Due to image cropping you can't see it here.) Here's the beautiful new Hunter cel:

The next step was to layer the cels together. Here's how the Horse and Hunter look together... re-united after forty years!

The setup would be incomplete without a digitally re-assembled key master background, which I created.

I think you'll agree, the end result (pictured at the beginning of this post) is a tremendous setup, worth all the time and effort.

5 comments:

Tony DiStefano said...

I think I missed something.How did you get the character pose for the inker to work over?Very nice job with the background.BY the way ,this is my favorite period for Disney design,late 50s and 60s.Early 70s also.

ROB RICHARDS said...

The pose of the Hunter is from the exact frame match, with the horse, from a DVD screen capture. It was sized to match the cel, and like the original ink and paint girls, she traced the ink lines by placing a blank cel over the top! Then it was painted on the back, the old fashioned way!

Eric Vanucci said...

I love this cells, I wish I had one!!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful site Rob! I would love it if you could tell us how you typically frame and matte your cels, I have been looking for an article on it but the ones on the web have fallen a bit short.

Anonymous said...

ROB RICHARDS?
Like in McCRea?
Like in OBS?
Like in BEE?
Like in RICE?
Like in RICK?
Like in HANSEN?
Like in ARDEN?
Like in DASSAULT?
NAVY SEAL SETUPS...El SALVADOR with COULTER?
NEWFOUNDLAND- SENATORS inEXPLOSIVES- TEXAS U and POLITICIANS?
You know what is going to happen to all of you with these thousands of blogs for organ harvesting with GE and RITE AID?
FIRST ONE TALKS- WINS.